Sunnydale After Dark
Roots by acekoomboom [PG-13]
Summary: Buffy thinks about the nature of good and evil under the shade of a beautiful tree.
 
Aka author's excessive use of introspection.
Series: In the Depths of October
Categories: Post-Series, One-Shot
Characters: Buffy, Spike
Genres: Established Relationship, HEA/HFN, Holiday Fic, Romance
Warnings: None
Completed: Yes Chapters: 1
Word count: 996 Hit Count: 59 ePub Downloads: 4
Published: 10/24/23 Updated: 10/24/23


Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook

Share Story:

Story Notes: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
 
This story was beta'd by Doublemeat Palace.

1. A Red, Red Oak by acekoomboom - Likes: 3 Comments: 6 Word Count: 996 Hit Count: 59 Published: 10/24/23

So when the theme of this collaborative project was posed to me — anything Halloween, autumnal, spooky or otherwise October-feeling — trees are what automatically popped into my head. What's more fall themed than the leaves changing colors and falling to the ground? Nothing. I'm an absolute tree nerd, not even in an academic way, just in an emotional one. Any time I go on a nature hike, it's the literal trees that I'm stopping to look at and touch. Resting my hand on tree bark and looking at the beauty all around me is a 10/10 life experience that I seek out often. I was a literal tree hugger as a kid, just because I always found them so beautiful. I drew branches on mirrors for all of my relatives for Christmas one year, and I have way too many selfies with trees above/behind/around me. They're just. so. pretty. I'm obsessed. A tree fangirl, if you will.

The featured tree in this fic is a Pin Oak, and it's beautiful. In reality, bur oaks are basically the only type of oaks that grow well in Utah, but I choose to believe that this particular tree was and still is bombarded with iron by a very dedicated and affectionate gardener in order to avoid iron chlorosis. It's gorgeous and I want it to exist here, so it does. Deal with it, rules of geology and ecology.