• Can I join even if I don't plan to write any stories?
• Why do I have to join to read the NC-17/Adult Only stories?
• How do I sign up?
• I'm having trouble with the spam test. What do I do?
POSTING A STORY
• What kinds of stories are allowed?
• What ratings does the site use?
• How do I submit stories?
• I just submitted a story, but it says that the story needs to be validated. How long will that take?
• When will I be able to load stories without them having to be validated first?
• Why is the site word count different than the word count from my word processing program/the text editor box?
• There are extra spaces between my story's paragraphs, why are they showing up?
• What is a beta and where can I find one?
• How do I add a banner or image to my story?
• As an author, what if I don't want my stories distributed off-site?
READING A STORY
• Why can't I access NC-17 or Adults Only material?
• The text for the stories is too small for me to read. How can I make it larger?
• I see that there are ePub downloads for e-readers, but I have a Kindle and it doesn't accept ePub files. What can I do?
• Can I download ePub files to read on my iPad/iPhone?
• I just read a story where the warnings/ratings aren't correct or it doesn't follow the site rules. Why is it on the archive?
• As a reader, how do I know if an author requests no sharing of their work(s)?
• What are challenges?
• How do I issue a challenge?
• How do I respond to a challenge?
• What if I see a challenge that doesn't make sense/is inappropriate?
• I can't log in/get a blank screen even though I've registered and have my correct penname and password. What should I do?
• When I try to update a new story/chapter, I get an error message. What can I do?
• What do I do if I forgot my password?
• What do I do if I don't remember my penname?
• How do I delete my account?
• How can I change my password?
• How can I change my penname?
• Why do I keep having to log in to the site? When I am reading a story or inactive for a short period of time, the site logs me out and I lose my place.
• I should have received an email because I requested a new password/have my account set to email me when favorites are updated/should have received a notification, but I haven't had an email. Why?
• What do I do if I have a technical issue that isn't addressed here?
• What are those little gold and silver stars that some stories have?
• What are Members of the Month, and how does someone become one?
• I don't really like the colors/banner/look of the site. Are there other options?
• What's the difference between my favorites and my bookshelf?
• I can't remember the title of a specific story, can you help me?
• I'm new to the fandom, can you tell me what some terms and abbreviations used here mean?
• What's the chat box for? Are there any guidelines for its use?
• Are there other ways to interact with Sunnydale After Dark other than directly on this site?
• What can I do if I'm having issues with another member here?
• Can I link to my personal patron page or ask for compensation for the fanfic I write?
• Who's in charge here/Who do I contact for help, questions, etc...?
Can I join even if I don't plan to write any stories?
Please do! As long as you're at least 15 years old, feel free to sign up so that you can comment on stories and let authors know you're enjoying their work.
Why do I have to join to read the NC-17/Adult Only stories?
We do this to try to ensure young readers don't access stories with mature themes. We realize this cannot be in any way fool-proof. The site is meant to be a safe place for writers and readers wishing to explore mature themes, but our goal is to also be as responsible as we can be. By signing up, you are agreeing that you understand what you are signing up to read. Once you do sign up, we will not use your email to spam you or otherwise use your email address without permission.
How do I sign up?
Click here and enter the required information.
I'm having trouble with the spam test. What do I do?
The answer to the spam test is only one word and is the thing Spike brought back from Africa for Buffy. Do not include any adjectives describing the item, or use "a,” "an," or "his.” Make sure you spell the word correctly and that the word is singular. This is not a question we can help you answer.
POSTING A STORY
What kinds of stories are allowed?
Please read our Submission Rules and Terms of Service to see our story requirements.
What ratings does the site use?
Go here to view site ratings and rating descriptions.
How do I submit stories?
If you have not already done so, please register for an account. Once you've logged in, click on Account Information and choose Add Story.
I just submitted a story, but it says that the story needs to be validated. How long will that take?
The time can vary, but we will get to it as soon as we can! If you have not heard anything in 2-3 days, please contact us.
When will I be able to load stories without them having to be validated first?
When we feel confident in your writing and are comfortable letting you post on your own, we will change your status so that you do not have to wait for each story/chapter to be validated.
Why is the site word count different than the word count from my word processing program/the text editor box?
Different computer programs come up with different results for counting words because each program has its own method of counting. For example, some programs count contractions and hyphenated words as one word, while others count them as two.
There are extra spaces between my story's paragraphs, why are they showing up?
The site’s text editor doesn't play well with older word processing programs. The site reads single spaces as double ones, so it sometimes puts extra spaces in between paragraphs. Modern online programs like Google Docs or Word Online work better with our system, and offer the chance to preserve your work even in case of a hard drive failure. We greatly encourage you to back up your work!
What is a beta and where can I find one?
A beta can be a proofreader, a sounding board, a cheerleader, and a fact-checker. Although using a beta is not required to post on the site, new and old authors can benefit from a fresh set of eyes to look over their work. In our fandom in particular, characters may speak in American or British English. It can be invaluable to have a native speaker of the language variant you are aiming for look over what you have written!
If your submission is denied, we may specifically tell you to go to a beta for help. To learn more about the beta process, click here and go here to find members who are interested in betaing.
How do I add a banner or image to my story?
Load your banner to your account in the Your Images section of your account info page, or to an image sharing site (imgur.com, etc...). Make sure your image isn't wider than 910px or taller than 250px (It doesn't need to be those dimensions, they are just the largest your banner can be without being scaled down). Enter the image URL (which should end in .jpg, .gif, or .png - nothing should be after the file type) into the line marked Since your image will be displayed to all members, please make sure your banner does not contain questionable or NSFW images.
As an author, what if I don't want my stories distributed off-site?
Each author is responsible for communicating their wishes for non-distribution. If you would prefer that your stories not be shared among members, please note this in visible areas, such as in the "story notes" sections of your fics and on your membership profile. Members should never re-post author's works to other sites without the expressed consent of the author.
READING A STORY
Why can't I access NC-17 or Adults Only material?
If you are over 17 and you're a registered member, go to Account info and then Edit Preferences. Towards the bottom, you will see an option that says, "I am of the age of consent in my region or country to view materials with adult content. I realize that by agreeing, the normal warnings for stories with adult content will be bypassed." Click the Yes button and then hit submit to save the change. Once this is done, you may need to clear out your internet history and cookies.
The text for the stories is too small for me to read. How can I make it larger?
To make the default site text larger, you can go into your account preferences and choose a larger text size than the normal one. Any time you are logged in, it will display your chosen text size. If you just want to adjust the story text size temporarily while reading, at the top of each chapter, you'll see - Text Size +. To make the story text bigger, simply click the +. Each time you click, the text size will increase. If you want to make the text smaller again, click the -.
I see that there are ePub downloads for e-readers, but I have a Kindle and it doesn't accept ePub files. What can I do?
It's easy to convert the ePub file into a MOBI file, which is compatible with the Kindle. To convert the file, you can download a program such as Calibre (this is also a handy program for storing and keeping track of your saved stories), or you can convert online with a site like this one: http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi or email the file to your Kindle with a site like this one: http://www.sendepubtokindle.com/. Also, if you have a Kindle Fire, you can download apps such as Overdrive or Aldiko, which allow you to read ePub files.
Can I download ePub files to read on my iPad/iPhone?
Yes! To do this, use Safari on your device to browse to the story of your choice. When you select the ePub link, you will be able to select Open in "iBooks". This will place the chapter or story on your iBooks shelf and you can read from there even if you're offline.
I just read a story where the warnings/ratings aren't correct or it doesn't follow the site rules. Why is it on the archive?
The admins don't have time to read every story posted here at Sunnydale After Dark. Once an author is approved for automatic posting, we don't review their works before they are posted for other members to read. We try to keep an eye on things as best we can, but if you come upon a story that violates site rules or terms of service, please let us know. Be sure to include the title and author of the story in question.
As a reader, how do I know if an author requests no sharing of their work(s)?
Please check the author's "story notes" and profile page and contact the author if you are unsure. Members should never re-post an author's works to other sites without the expressed consent of the author.
What are challenges?
If you have a story idea you'd like to see come to life, you can submit a challenge. If you're looking for inspiration or want ideas for a new story to write, feel free to look through the challenges to see if one sparks your imagination!
How do I issue a challenge?
On the challenges page, click on Issue a challenge! Try to get your idea across without detailing the entire story. You want to inspire an author's muse, not dictate the entire plot line. If an author responds to your challenge, they can interpret the challenge as they see fit, which means they are free to modify the requirements if need be. You can view and edit your challenges from the Your Challenges link on your Account Info page. Please remember that adding a challenge doesn't mean someone will respond to it. Our authors are not obligated to respond to any challenges. Please don't contact authors asking them to respond to your challenge.
How do I respond to a challenge?
If you've been inspired by one of the challenges, the first step is to add your story as you normally would. Once you've added your story, find the challenge you're responding to on the challenges page or in your saved challenges list (if you've already saved it to your personal list). At the bottom of the challenge, you'll see a Respond to the challenge! link. Click the link, put a check in the box next to the story which is the challenge-response, and click submit.
What if I see a challenge that doesn't make sense/is inappropriate?
We don't screen challenges as they're posted. If you see a challenge that doesn't make any sense, doesn't fit the requirements of the site, or has inappropriate content, contact us. Please include a link to the challenge in question in your message.
I can't log in/get a blank screen even though I've registered and have my correct penname and password. What should I do?
Clear your internet history and cookies. If that doesn't help, try a completely different browser than the one you're currently using. If you are still having problems, please contact us.
When I try to update a new story/chapter, I get an error message. What can I do?
If you're getting the error message after using the story text box, try using a word processing program to save your work as a .txt file. Then, load your story via the Story Text (file) bar. Please make a detailed note of how and when you encounter the error, what the error says, and submit it to us to investigate.
What do I do if I forgot my password?
To recover a lost password, click here and enter the e-mail address with which you registered. Your password will be sent to you shortly. If you don't get an email (check your spam folder), or no longer have access to the email account that you originally registered with, contact us with your penname and email address that is listed in your account, and we can reset your password for you. Please don't create a new account if you don't remember your password. If we notice you have two accounts, we will delete one of them.
What do I do if I don't remember my penname?
You can use the lost password link. When you receive an email with your new password, it will contain your penname as well.
How do I delete my account?
Unfortunately, users cannot delete their own accounts. If for some reason you want yours deleted, contact us from the email address that you signed up with and make sure to tell us your penname. We can then delete your account for you. Remember, this is a permanent action and once your account is deleted, it cannot be recovered.
How can I change my password?
In your Account Info, click on Edit Bio/Personal Information and enter your new password where it says Password and Confirm Password. Once you click submit, you will be logged out and will need to re-enter the site with your new password.
How can I change my penname? Users cannot change their own pennames. If you would like a penname change, please contact us while logged into your account, and we can change it for you. This will change your penname for any stories you've written, but any reviews and challenges you've already written will still be listed under your old penname (however, they will still show up in your profile). We will only change your penname once, unless you have a very good reason, such as personal security, so please don't ask repeatedly.
Why do I keep having to log in to the site? When I am reading a story or inactive for a short period of time, the site logs me out and I lose my place.
The site will automatically log you out after certain periods of inactivity. The length of time is determined by the server, and we can't edit it. However, you can prevent the logout from happening by checking the box titled Remember Me when you log in. This will keep you logged in until you click the logout link.
I should have received an email because I requested a new password/have my account set to email me when favorites are updated, but I haven't received an email. Why?
If you should have received an email from us but didn't, please check your spam folder.
Email providers frequently change their spam filters, and they may send our emails to your junk folder even if they did not in the past. Our general site emails come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you get our emails by adding our address to your approved senders/contacts lists. Also, remember that you'll only get emails for new comments and updated favorites if you have those options set in your preferences. In order to conserve resources, we turn off a number of email alerts for members who have not logged into their accounts for over 1 year.
What do I do if I have a technical issue that isn't addressed here?
If you have a technical question or problem that can't be solved with the information listed on this page, please contact us. In order to help us solve your issue as quickly as possible, please provide as much information as possible. This includes screenshots and exact URLs of pages where you're having problems. If you're having an issue with emails, please forward the email or copy it into your message. If you're not getting certain emails, please let us know exactly which emails you think you're not receiving.
What are those little gold and silver stars that some stories have?
These are featured stories that we feel are deserving of your attention. Current featured stories have a silver star () next to the title and previous ones have a gold star (). You can view all the past and present featured stories here.
What are Members of the Month, and how does someone become one?
Every month, we have a new author and commenter of the month. Those members are community-selected. To read more about the procedures, and to make your own nominations, head over to the nominate page and honor a fellow site member!
I don't really like the colors/banner/look of the site. Are there other options?
Yes! We have a number of skins, which control the appearance of the site. To make sure your skin preference is saved, make sure to change it under your Edit Preferences section. The drop-down skin change menus on the main page and in the footer will change your skin temporarily, but the next time you log in, it will go back to your default skin.
What's the difference between my favorites and my bookshelf?
You can choose to use the two features however you wish. However, there are a few key differences:
- Favorites allows you to write comments, viewable only to you, on a story, series, or author. Also, you will get an email when a favorite is updated if you have this option checked in your Edit Preferences section. If you have an author marked as a favorite, you will get an email when they add a new story. If you have a story marked as a favorite, you will get an email when a new chapter is added.
- Your bookshelf will not email you with updates, but it will keep track of the last chapter and date that you clicked on a shelved story (Favorites does not keep track of that information). If there are additional chapters of a story on your bookshelf beyond the last chapter you clicked on, there will be a link to the next available chapter.
- Your favorites are public and viewable by others, while your bookshelf is not.
I can't remember the title of a specific story, can you help me?
If you're looking for a certain story, but don't remember the title, you can post the details that you remember in the chat box on the homepage. One of our members may remember the story you're searching for and will be able to help you out.
What's the chat box for? Are there any guidelines for its use?
The chat box is a place for members to connect, chat about fics they're currently loving, ask if other members can remember the title of a story that may have been forgotten, complain about a bad case of writer's block, etc. Please do follow these chat guidelines:
- As with all interactions on the site, we ask you to be polite and speak to others the way you'd like to be spoken to. If you have an issue with a story, an author, or another member of the fandom, the chat box isn't a place to air grievances. Please remember that all terms of service apply in the chat box.
- Site suggestions should be placed in the suggestion box and technical issues should be detailed in a message to our site email, not the chat box.
- Posts are limited to 300 characters. If you're finding you have a lot to say about any particular subject, you can post in our private Facebook group.
- Posts by members of Sunnydale After Dark do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sunnydale After Dark administrators. If you have an issue with something posted in the chat box, please contact us.
- We reserve the right to delete any posts that violate the guidelines listed above.
Are there other ways to interact with Sunnydale After Dark other than directly on this site?
Yes, there are many ways to interact with Sunnydale After Dark members and content! We have a LiveJournal Community, a Tumblr page, an Instagram, and a private Facebook group. These are the only sites that are official extensions of Sunnydale After Dark.
What can I do if I'm having issues with another member here?
If you feel like someone is cyber-bullying, trolling, or flaming you or others here on Sunnydale After Dark, we want to help. Please contact us if you encounter that behavior here on Sunnydale After Dark.
Can I link to my personal Patreon page or ask for compensation for the fanfic I write?
You may not link to a patron-type site (e.g., Patreon) in your profile if you have one. This applies to official patron sites or any other request for financial compensation for your fan-based artistic output. You may link to any website that you personally control (e.g., original fiction sites) as long as it does not involve financial compensation for fan-based works. This is also part of our terms of service.
Who's in charge here/Who do I contact for help/questions, etc...?
The current administrators and moderators at Sunnydale After Dark are Sandy_s, Dusty, and Chelle. If you have a question, issue, or site suggestion, please contact us. Before you ask for help, please make sure that your question is not already answered above.